The #1 tool I use to TRIPLE my workout results is……. *drumroll please*…….. A STOPWATCH! 🙂
As simple as this tool may seem, I see many people who could greatly benefit from this little device.
Here’s a “workout routine” I frequently witness at the gym:
- Person picks up a pair of dumbbells.
- Speeds through 10 quick bicep curls. Sets down weights on bench.
- Walks to water cooler. Drinks cup of water.
- Nature calls. Slowly makes way to bathroom.
- While leaving bathroom, runs into a neighbor they haven’t seen in a couple of weeks. Spends 10 more minutes talking about the increase in HOA fees.
- After their conversation, they just happen to walk past one of the 27 TVs on the wall. News clip catches their attention. The “spell” is broken at the next commercial break 5 minutes later.
- Finally makes way back to the weights.
- Rinse and repeat. 🙂
OK, this story might be slightly exaggerated, but it does make my point.
A lot of exercisers can easily waste a lot of time and miss out on much greater results from the time they put into their workouts.
Tracking your rest periods is one the EASIEST tactics you can use to improve your fitness results while spending LESS time actually working out.
In the video above, I explain exactly how you can structure your rest periods for maximum fat loss results.
The simple chart is also shared below.
Progressive Rest Reduction:
Sets REST Time
1-4 sets: 60-120 seconds ==> In the first 4 sets you rest the most. This stimulates the muscles (Hypertrophy) to increase size and strength.
5-8 sets: 30-60 seconds ==> In sets 5-8 you decrease the rest time and this increases adrenaline which helps burn more calories.
9-12 sets: 0-30 seconds ==> In sets 9-12 you are now mimicking HIIT*. This is where you burn more body fat and release more Growth Hormones.
*HIIT: High Intensity Interval Training is a training technique in which you give all-out, one hundred percent effort through quick, intense bursts of exercise, followed by short, sometimes active, recovery periods. This type of training gets and keeps your heart rate up and burns more fat in less time. Enjoy the new protocol!
Keep going strong!
Your friend and coach,