Exercise Intervals: High Intensity or Threshold
If you’ve followed my interval approach for any length of time, you’ll hear me refer to a “hidden” interval system that most people neglect.
These forgotten exercise intervals are one of the best ways to STOP fat-storage from your favorite cheat foods.
They usually require a little more time, but I’ve recently come up with a fast and furious shortened version below that provides the same benefits in HALF the time.
Before I give you the workout chart, it’s important to understand there are SEVERAL “key” benefits to using this type of exercise intervals to help you be a long-term fat burner.
They’re called Threshold Intervals, which can help you…
– Rapidly deplete glycogen stores faster than other intensity levels because you’re exercising at your “lactate threshold”…
– Conditions the first anaerobic system (called anaerobic glycolysis) which not only burns glucose at a faster rate, it also…
– “Enhances” all the cardio benefits you get from any type of “aerobic” lower intensity training…
– This approach also sets your metabolism up for accelerated nutrient partitioning, which is the up regulation of your body’s ability to store food inside the muscles and
liver– post exercise and several hours after…
– It “primes” and programs your metabolism to get a faster and better fat burning
response from OTHER exercise intensity levels…
– Using Threshold intervals also helps prevent adaptations and stops plateaus…
Here’s a 3 minute threshold sequence below that only takes 15 minutes to complete.
You’ll quickly discover if you’ve conditioned your body the right way or not.
I’m going to use running for the example intensity guidelines but you can use ANY type of cardio exercise.
IMPORTANT Note on exercise intervals: Every third minute make sure to pace yourself so that you can maintain the SAME intensity level for the ENTIRE minute.
This is what’s going to create the desired “Threshold” effect to achieve all the benefits I listed above.
Just repeat the following sequence 5xs of these exercise intervals and cool down.
Exercise Intervals: Threshold or High Intensity?
Remember if you go too hard or too fast on minutes 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15 you’ll peter out before your minute is up – so you won’t achieve the goal of this approach.
It’s not necessarily “easy,” but it is short and sweet.
Give this a shot this weekend before you cheat, or on Monday, after you cheat. It will help you stop fat storage and keep your body burning fat.
If you’re not motivated enough to actually get off your butt and do this, I have the perfect cure.
It’s an article I wrote that will motivate you like no other:
Let me know how you like it and make sure to share it with your friends and family who could use a good kick in the butt.
Your friend and coach,